Garage / Workshop construction 2006


2nd Floor & Roof Construction

August 18, 2006 - Bottom row of sheathing in place, ready to start framing 2nd floor walls.

Work on the 2nd floor started on August 7, 2006.  We glued and screwed all the subfloor boards down.  This took more than a week as we had several rainy days when we could not work.  Once the subfloor boards get wet the tongues and grooves swell so much they are impossible to get together.  So we opted for waiting until the rain cleared up.

August 19, 2006 - Jane cutting headers for 8 more windows.

These 8 foot tall walls sure were a lot easier to assemble and put up than the downstairs ones. Robert and I easily managed to erect them by ourselves. Once the corners were done we placed sheathing in the corners to reinforce the structure. We started with each of us on a ladder, pushing them up from below. But, after we lost hold of one and it went crashing to the ground we decided to take a new approach.  Robert drilled a hole in the center of a sheet, about 4" in and put a rope through the hole. With me on the second floor and the rope slung over the top of the second floor wall and Robert on a ladder below, I pulled the rope and Robert pushed from below.  This helped divide the load and made sure the panel stayed up straight and against the wall.  Once it was in place Robert could nail it.  I finished off the nailing from above where Robert could not reach.

August 21, 2006 - All the walls in place on the second floor.

We completed the last section of wall, with a total of 9 widows on this floor.  In the next few days we put all of the top plates on and completed the middle row of sheathing all around the building.  Then we ordered the trusses and went on vacation for a week and a half.

September 16, 2006 - Robert on the trusses fastening braces with Julian holding a level.  Buddy and Jane were each holding a rope to keep the truss up while it was being fastened in place.

We were fortunate enough to get Julian and Buddy to come help us put the trusses up.  It took us all day from 9am till 6pm to put up 21 trusses.  We used a cherry picker to lift the trusses and get them over as far as it could reach, which was only about halfway down the building.  From there we had to slide the trusses over, then flip them the right way up and fasten them in place.  We got them upright by placing two ropes on the truss, one to prevent it from falling too far backward, and the other to prevent it from falling forward.  With these two ropes pulled tight Robert and Julian could go about toe nailing the trusses to the top plates of the walls and then placing two braces per side to hold each truss at the right distance from the other.  We also used stop blocks on the walls to help get the trusses in place when flipping them the right way up.

Jane in the cherry picker dropping a truss in place with Robert tacking it to the previous truss.

Robert had taken all the trusses up with the cherry picker until it was able to reach where we could hoist the truss the right way up and just drop it right in place.  Then I hoisted the last few trusses while the guys positioned and tacked them in place.

Robert and I spent all of Sunday first putting plywood boards down to form the floor of the 3rd floor attic space, which is 10' x 30'.   Then we positioned the trusses that form the hip at the front of the building.  And finally, seeing as we had the cherry picker we fastened the sheathing that went over the garage door as this would be very difficult to do on a ladder.

September 28, 2006 - Trusses in, fascia complete, roof sheathing started.

It took Robert a whole week of working from 8am to 11:30am to painstakingly construct the corners of the hip roof and the gable section over the stairs.  Once that was done we cut the fascia sections, primed them and put them up.  We could then start sheathing the roof with LP Techshield Radiant Barrier OSB, which proved to be quite easy because of the attic room.  We stacked all the sheathing on the 3rd floor then just passed the sheets through the trusses onto the roof.  Robert used his rock climbing harness with several sections of webbing so that he could climb around on the roof without the danger of falling too far.  Robert decided to use the Radiant Barrier sheathing to save on heating and cooling costs, even though it ended up costing $1,000 more than regular OSB.

September 29, 2006 - The attic room on the 3rd floor

Robert put in some permanent braces to tie the roof trusses into the outside end wall over the stairs to prevent it from racking.  However, the whole building still moves if you jump around up there.  This should improve once we complete the sheathing of the walls.

October 6, 2006 - Tri-Flex going up

We left a 2 foot piece of sheathing out on either side of the roof ridge so that we could still get on the roof from the attic room.  As Robert and I are both rock climbers we used our climbing harnesses to make sure we didn't fall off the roof while putting the sheathing and Tri-Flex on.  I would anchor myself and belay Robert while he put the materials down.  The hip roof is a 10/12 pitch and the rest of the roof is 8/12 pitch, so it's not an easy walk up there.

Robert decided to put two sections of sheathing in loose (without nailing them) at the peak so that he can later take them out so that we can get the shingles on the roof through the peak.  We have now completely covered the roof with Tri-Flex so the building is somewhat water-proof.

October 12, 2006 - Robert on Pump Jack platforms putting up OSB on the back wall.

Robert had the Pump Jacks from when we reroofed the house, we just had to make new poles as the old ones had warped badly.  Once the Pump Jacks were up it was easy to get the last few rows of OSB in place.

Footers & Stem Walls Slab & Framing 2nd Floor Construction Siding & Roof The Interior & finishing touches The


Copyright Reserved - Created May 2006 - Greentree Creations - e-mail Jane